Subject: You can help build the National Public Network. Here's how.

From: van (Gerard Van der Leun)
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1991 16:19:14 -0500

[Please post this in your digests/moderated groups if you feel it appropriate]

     THE NATIONAL PUBLIC NETWORK BEGINS NOW. YOU CAN HELP BUILD IT.

Telecommunications in the United States is at a crossroads.  With the
Regional Bell Operating Companies now free to provide content, the shape
of the information networking is about to be irrevocably altered.  But
will that network be the open, accessible, affordable network that the
American public needs?  You can help decide this question.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation recently presented a plan to Congress
calling for the immediate deployment of a national network based on
existing ISDN technology, accessible to anyone with a telephone
connection, and priced like local voice service.  We believe deployment
of such a platform will spur the development of innovative new
information services, and maximize freedom, competitiveness, and civil
liberties throughout the nation.

The EFF is testifying before Congress and the FCC; making presentations
to public utility commisions from Massachusetts to California; and
meeting with representatives from telephone companies, publishers,
consumer advocates, and other stakeholders in the telecommunications
policy debate.

The EFF believes that participants on the Internet, as pioneers on the
electronic frontier, need to have their voices heard at this critical
moment.

To automatically receive a description of the platform and details, send
mail to [email-masked], with the following line:

send documents open-platform-overview

or send mail to [email-masked].